Newborns 0-3 months
- Your 1 month old can hear you and knows your voice
Babies 3-12 months
- From 6 months of age, they can tell how you are by feeling the tone of your voice and look on your face
Toddlers 1-3 years
- At first, your child will understand more than they can say
- They should respond to their own name and understand 'no' from 12 months of age
- They should start to understand single words and short sentances. For example, 'bye-bye', 'night, night', 'bath time', 'let's go'
Preschool 3-5 years
- At 3 years, they will understand slightly longer sentences e.g. 'Where is your teddy?'
- At around 4 years of age, they will understand most simple things you say and will follow instructions with 2 to 3 steps e.g. 'go to your bedroom and get your jumper'